A post on the Writing Everyday Works blog I follow intrigued me because of its title: What generation are you? What generation are your co-workers? Does it influence your point of view?
Baby boomers, Gen X’ers, Digital natives, or generations in between (like mine) all have a different view of the world. So I went on to read the post, which takes you to this interesting article from the Walls Street Journal, The Facebook Generation vs. the Fortune 500. In a nutshell: how do corporations need to change in order to attract and retain workers from the Facebook Generation?
It lists 12 “work-relevant characteristics of online life.” I find some of it interesting, some of it right on, and some of it downright scary (hackers are heroes?)! The one characteristic that has fascinated me in recent years is that “power comes from sharing information, not hoarding it.” With the Creative Commons and all, so much is shared on the web, for free, that it often makes me wonder “How can these people make a living if they give away all their thinking and work?” I suppose they use their noteriety to sell bigger and better ideas?
The author, Gary Hamel, explains that “to gain influence and status, you have to give away your expertise and content. And you must do it quickly; if you don’t, someone else will beat you to the punch—and garner the credit that might have been yours. Online, there are a lot of incentives to share, and few incentives to hoard.” As a teacher, I see in this the promise of cooperative learning we try to teach children: by working together we can help each other reach larger goals. On the teacher front, we are also (for the most part) great at sharing lessons and strategies with new teachers on our teams, and increasingly, we share across the web. But we’re not all ready to say: “Sure take my stuff--which took me hours of work to create--and use it!”
On Thursday, I organized a workshop for 90 teachers. One of the presenters reluctantly agreed to sharing her PowerPoint on our website but only after adding a copyright warning on every slide, basically asking people to not share her work. On the other hand, another presenter sent me every single file and example shown to post on the web so others could adapt her work as they see fit. Quite a striking difference! Some are in it to make money (the first presenter mentioned is starting her own company) while others reap different benefits. Which generation do you think these two teachers belonged to?

Isa, this posting was so thought provoking, especially as I think about my own ideas and how to share them with others (e.g. to share publicly my dissertation ideas while still in process?) Reading your post made me think of Parker Palmer who argues for a change in how we look at the flow of resources (and power). Instead of looking at everything through a scarcity lense, he argues that we should instead foster a "culture of abundance" where sharing for the purpose of improvement overall (e.g. wikipedia) becomes the goal.
ReplyDeleteI also like how you link the comfort levels of sharing to generations. You have my mind spinning.
Thanks for such a thoughtful posting.
Dear Isa,
ReplyDeleteAs I am designing my digital writing project, I ran into the issue of copyright/attribution as I asked people to share photos with me. Just individuals were fine when I told them why I wanted their photos, but someone who works for a government entity thought he should have a right to preview before I post anything online. Although I am not a digital native, I have always shared my work output with anyone who wanted it and encouraged them to make it their own. I agree, though, that sometimes we all feel like we should get credit where credit is due.
Like Dancing Stylus wrote, Thanks for such a thoughtful posting.
JoAnn
OK, so I was just about to post something about the political implications of this idea that power comes through sharing rather than hoarding, but I thought back to our discussion in class and now feel more self-conscious in my commenting :( I think we should continue our public vs. private discussion at our next class...
ReplyDeleteI borrow from Edina teacher websites all the time: book projects, weblinks, teaching ideas... Thanks, colleagues. I consider it a compliment if people are able to use my ideas. Maybe I should thank people when I use something I find on their site.
ReplyDeleteJanice